Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A Packing Extravaganza

Trying to fit your entire life into a handful of plastic boxes is not an easy thing to do.

I started packing for college about a month and a half ago...I like to be on top of things. I also just have a ton of crap. I started with all the miscellaneous stuff in my room. Items either went into the garbage or into a box to go to college.  I went a little bit crazy with the boxes. Basically everything I owned was going to be coming with me. My mom came into my room one day and told me to dial it back because it looked like I had died and all my stuff disappeared with me. There was nothing left in my room anymore. I had to unpack and put stuff back. I would need some stuff in my room to come home to. I was taking books and movies and CDs and decorations and board games and PlayStation 2 games and scarves and boots and hats and coats and so much stuff! Way. Too. Much. Stuff. I had filled up five of the big plastic totes before I even began to think about my clothes. I probably have enough clothes that I could last a year without repeating an outfit. I did end up donating a lot of my clothes but there was still so much left. Naturally, I wanted to take everything with me. I didn't want to be in Denver and be in need of an outfit that was still in Chicago 1,002 miles away! What a nightmare that would be. So everything had to go. Oh and I also had to pack all the new things I had bought like towels and kitchen stuff and a new bathrobe and storage containers and my sheets and comforter and pillow and way too much stuff. I also planned on bringing my bike and my golf clubs.

A few days ago I came to the realization that all of this crap couldn't possibly fit in the car....Now it was time to unpack and prioritize my possessions and repack. Woohoo! The bike and golf clubs are staying at home. I got rid of a lot of the books and CDs and games. I eliminated nearly 10 pairs of shoes. Space Bags were purchased to use for the clothing and scarves. It's a good thing my mom is a master packer. I don't know how she does it. What I can fit in two boxes, she can fit in one. Thank God for Mom. We have made some serious progress on the packing front. Everything should (fingers crossed!) fit in the car...let's just hope everything fits in the dorm....

No comments:

Post a Comment