Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I'm A Busy Girl

Wow has this been a completely crazy week. I'm only in 4 classes (and a lab) but it seems insane already. I guess we'll start with my 10am. My first class is General Chemistry. To get my Bachelors of Science degree in Biology, I have to take 2 years of chemistry. Since I haven't taken any chemistry since my sophomore year of high school I was very worried about this class. Fortunately, Dr. Keith is absolutely wonderful. He is such a great teacher that I am no longer worried about this class. I know it'll be hard work but I'll do well in it. I am a bit more worried about the labs because those have never been my strong suit. I guess it's good that I'm smart :)

I am also taking Italian which I am super excited about. It's been pretty easy so far but that's only because the things we have been learning are nothing new to me. I'm pretty sure my Noni and Uncie taught me how to say "Ciao!", "Buongiorno" and "Grazie" when I was two years old. Maybe that's an exaggeration but I've got this Italian thing down. It only gets hard when Professoressa tells us to do something in Italian and I have no idea what she's trying to say. But I'll get there. And I really hope we have a class period dedicated to the different kinds of pasta.

I am also taking an Honors World War One history class. I know that might not sound super interesting but I'm really excited about it. I love the discussion format and the professor seems really nice. It is evident that she is very passionate about what she teaches. World War One is also something that I know nothing about so I am looking forward to expanding my horizons. I bet it'll be a lot more interesting than it sounds.

Finally, I am taking my First-Year Seminar class called Literary Depictions of Madness. This class will give me the opportunity to explore how the mentally ill are portrayed in literature (and movies too). It deals less with the criminally insane than I would prefer but it's as close as I can get to a serial killer class for the time being. It will have to do. But actually, I am very excited because I love reading and writing and when you marry that to madness I'm sure it'll be beautiful.

So that's it for classes and I know this post is getting really long but there's just a few more things I would like to share.

On Monday I went to a meeting for DU's student run newspaper: The Clarion. Surprisingly, the sports section of the paper is lacking reporters so I was able to be hired as a sports reporter. I am going to be paid for writing! This is basically a dream come true. I get to interview college athletes and coaches, attend sporting events as a reporter, write about it, and get money. Heck. Yeah.

Finally, I will also be spending some time working in a Psychology lab doing research. It's pretty unheard of for a first quarter freshman to join a research lab but then again most people aren't as crazy and ambitious as I am. I haven't exactly talked to my bosses yet to figure out how much of this research I am allowed to disclose to the world (probably not that much) but more details will come if I'm allowed to give them. The point is, there are so many opportunities here and everyday I am getting closer to doing what I love for a living. It's pretty damn awesome if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment