Monday, November 3, 2014

Parents' Halloweekend

This was a very busy weekend! Not only was it Halloween, but it was also Parents' Weekend and Homecoming Weekend. Halloween was on Friday, as you all know. The beginning part of my day was spent doing chemistry. It was super exciting. Then, my friends and I headed over to the first Homecoming hockey game. We were in the front of the students section right on the boards! It was awesome to be that close to the players, some of them are guys that live in my dorm which makes it that much cooler. At one point, our player checked a BC guy right in front of us. The boards shook and everyone was screaming. It was so, so cool. Unfortunately, we lost the game...but it was still fun to watch. After that, the night got pretty lame. My friends and I put on our Lady Gaga costumes and went out walking around. About an hour and a half later, we headed home because everything was pretty lame. Plus, I needed sleep because I was going to see Mom and Noni in the morning.

The next day when they arrived, I showed them my room and gave a little campus tour. Mom was here for move-in but now I actually know the campus so the tour went a lot better. Then I took them to Illegal Pete's which is the home of the best darn burritos and queso I've ever had in my life. There were some on campus activities as well, but as always food was the best part. We had tickets to an event called "Taste of DU" where there were 20 or so food vendors. I had a massive food baby after that, but it was totally worth it.

We all headed to Homecoming hockey game #2. Mom, Noni, and Ash sat in their spots while I headed over to the press box. My assignment for the week was to report on the hockey game and it was seriously wonderful. I love my job so much. Being in the student section is a little bit more fun, but it's cool to be in the press box too because it makes me feel so important. The worst part about the press box is that I can't scream and cheer so much. But when we scored a goal with 54 seconds left in overtime, I threw that unspoken rule away and screamed really loud. The best part of the game came afterwards when I took the hidden elevator down to the locker room. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go in, but I got to speak to the head coach in the hallway outside. I'm a dork so it was like meeting a celebrity. Seriously awesome.

I spent all of Sunday with my family and it was so nice to not even be thinking about school. We went to breakfast and to Wash Park which was very beautiful. After church, we went to this sports bar to watch my boys in action. The Steelers were facing off against the rival Ravens. Anyone that knows football knows that the Steelers-Ravens is the best and toughest rivalry in the NFL. The game was amazing and the Steelers played great. They look so good. And Ben broke another record by throwing another 6 touchdowns! I feel like a proud mama because my boys are playing so well. It also broke my heart that Troy hurt his knee but I'm sure he'll be better soon!

Parents' Halloweekend was definitely a success. I had fun with friends and fun with family. It's true when they say you don't know how much you miss something until it's gone. Being away from my family has made me miss them a lot. Even though it was a short visit, it was a huge blessing. I'll be back in Palatine for a month in a little over 2 weeks!




No comments:

Post a Comment