Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Arrivederci 2014

2014 was a year of incredible changes. Some were amazing, some were shitty, but I am thankful for all of it. I'll try to keep this as chronological as possible (no promises).

In 2014...

I had the most successful speech season of my career when I made it to Sectionals in impromptu after not doing impromptu the entire season.

I celebrated a two year anniversary with a boy I loved very much.

I got waitlisted by 3 schools I really wanted to go to (one of them was an Ivy League!) and I got rejected by my first choice (Georgetown).

After careful evaluation, the choice was left to me and I chose to attend the University of Denver.

I had a blast at my senior prom and I looked and felt like a total princess.

I was named an academic scholar at PHS and then I graduated high school. It definitely wasn't easy saying goodbye to PHS.

I took 5 AP tests and I scored a 5 on all of them. This accomplishment granted me sophomore status heading into my first year as a university student.

I traveled to Italy with my incredible family and had the trip of a lifetime. That country is absolutely unbelievable. The food, the drink, the people, the history...gosh, I love it there.

I had to say some very sad goodbyes to some very great people.

I packed up all of my crap, jumped in the car, and headed to my new life out in Denver.

I had my heart broken and I legitimately thought I was going to die. Spoiler alert: I didn't die.

I started doing research in a psychology lab on campus.

I got a job as a sports reporter for the campus newspaper and I was able to interview some incredible athletes and coaches.

I joined CSF and went on an incredible Catholic retreat in beautiful Colorado with amazing people. I've become closer to God.

I got a little too caught up in the college scene and did some really stupid things.

I met a lot of men that taught me exactly what I don't want.

I celebrated my 18th birthday!

I made some incredible new friends...I bonded with a great friend over our broken hearts. I bonded with another over Leonardo DiCaprio and with another over Game of Thrones. We got into some crazy adventures. Lifelong memories were made.

I found the other two-thirds of my Powerpuff Girls. I love my Bubbles and Blossom to the moon and back!

I wrote an article on the rugby team that made the front page of the Clarion! (That's our newspaper...y'all should go read it).

I succeeded in all of my classes and finished my first quarter of college with a pretty decent GPA.

HUNTER HAYES TOUCHED MY HAND!! Yes, that needed to be in all caps.

I had a fabulous and delicious Thanksgiving with my dad.

I had the best winter break ever. It was full of friends, family, rest and relaxation.

I got to see my puppy again after missing her like crazy for 3 months.

I had a fabulous time spending a day downtown with my mommy celebrating Christmas in Chicago.

I had a wonderful Christmas from the very beginning of festivities until the end.

I spent some quality time skiing in the most beautiful place on Earth. I seriously love these Colorado mountains.

My Steelers have made the playoffs! It's time to go get #7!

Oh, and I started this blog!

The worst thing that happened to me in 2014 is pretty obvious. The best thing that happened to me in 2014 is realizing that the worst thing that happened is actually the best thing that happened. I know that probably doesn't make much sense so let me explain a little.

The worst thing that happened was having my heart broken. But ya see, this was actually a huge blessing in disguise so therefore it can't be the worst. In actuality, it was the best thing that could have happened! I am a better and happier me. I am finally doing the things that I want to do. I am finding myself and I am not trying to be anyone else. It's taken almost 4 months (or over 18 years, depending on how you look at it) to get to this point. Believe me when I say I was a complete disaster for what seemed like a very long time. But this is the point of no return, and I couldn't be happier. It is because of this that I know 2015 will be the best year of my life so far. This year will be all about making my life healthier, happier, and more fulfilling. I can't wait!

Obviously so many other great things happened to me this year so I encourage you to read my other blog posts if you want to hear more!

I wish everyone a Happy New Year and I'd like to leave this New Year's resolution with you. I think this is something you could all actually follow:

Be bold, be brave, don't make excuses. If you want something, take it. If something scares you, face it. If you love someone, show it. Be a better you and the rest will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment