Wednesday, February 18, 2015

40 Days and 40 Nights

It's Ash Wednesday! Ash Wednesday is a very interesting day in the Catholic Church. Symbolism and tradition abound, but the reason I like Ash Wednesday is because it marks the beginning of change. Lent is a sad season, but things are changing and something great is on its way. 

It is tradition to give something up for Lent, just as Jesus gave up his life for us. This year, I am doing something way different and way more challenging than usual. My best friend, Julie, and I are going to be putting ourselves on the Paleo diet. Yup. It is going to be one of the most difficult challenges in self-control ever. No grains. No pasta. No potatoes. No dairy. No peanuts. No refined sugar. No processed anything. Basically, the two of us will be eating fish, meat, fruits, vegetables, eggs, nuts, and natural sweeteners. Of course, on Fridays we will be on the Bunny diet since we cannot eat meat and will have to resort to carrots and celery.

I am actually really excited for this Lent. When it comes to food, I basically have no self control at all. It's pretty terrible. Luckily I'm not 400 pounds, but I have a weak spot for chocolate and ice cream and french fries. Learning how to really control what I eat will definitely help me be more healthy in the long run. Also, I think about food quite often and now whenever I get hungry or want some pizza, I'll think of God instead. It's a win-win.  

I always had the expectation that going away to college would lessen my faith. I never imagined that my faith would become 10 times strong at a University. Maybe it's because I need God more or maybe it's because I am surrounded by so many incredible Catholics that I love a lot. Either way, I'm excited for these next 40 days and all the sacrifice, cleansing, and change they will bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment