Friday, June 5, 2015

A Year In Review

My freshman year of college has officially come to an end...and I am in total shock. I can't believe how quickly this year went by. I can't believe how different I am. I really can't believe how happy I am. There have been plenty of terrible things this past year, but I am grateful for them. Everything that has happened has made me the person that I am today and I have never been more happy. 

Let's start from the beginning. 

Move in day was the most chaotic day I have ever experienced. There were so many people everywhere and a line for the elevator almost out the door. It was super tiring, but I was able to begin making a home out of 706N with a little help. I remember on that first night we had a floor meeting. Many times I have looked back on that and tried to remember who said what and who did what, but I can't for the life of me remember. All I know is that those strangers from that meeting quickly became my best friends and family. 

That very first night, I went to my very first college party...with the hockey team. My friends and I joke about this night because it didn't go exactly as planned. We ended up literally running away from the party. To this day, this is one of my biggest regrets. So naive...but also hilarious. 

There is no way that I can avoid telling the story of how I met the best friend I've ever had...and it can all be attributed to Kit Harington. All I had to do was mention Game of Thrones and my Molls's eyes lit up. It wasn't long before I was rewatching the series with her on the floor of my room. From that first episode, I never would have imagined that she'd get me a giant Tyrion poster for my birthday, that we'd go watch the show in IMAX 3D, or that we'd go to Denver ComicCon dressed as Arya and Ygritte. Our love of GoT runs deep, but our love for each other runs deeper.

It would take an entire novel for me to share all of my great memories...but they're all in my mind and I wouldn't trade them for the world. All the hockey games we spent in the front row, all the Nagel lunch dates, the shit show that was Winter Carnival, our National Championship, all of our "boys", the nights we stayed in and the nights we went out with a bang, all the mornings that required a bit of debriefing, and every moment in between. 

This year was made great by so many things and it would be absurd not to say a few thank yous.

Thank you to my family (especially my mom) who helped get me to this point.

Thank you to my best friends who helped me make it through this year. I cannot begin to tell you how much you mean to me and our crazy times together are something I will always treasure.

Thank you to my professors who taught me a few things and didn't make school too miserable.

Thank you to my amazing roommate who always put up with my shit and understood that music, clean dishes, and air conditioning were a constant necessity.

Thank you to my church community on campus for keeping me in line and focused on what really matters.

Thank you to all of the "boys" that were regarded as celebrity sightings. I know you don't know who you are, but you were a big part of my friends' lives and mine, so thanks.

Thank you to those special guys that (hopefully) don't know that I'm in love with them and a special thanks to my friends who handled my weirdness.

Thank you to The Clarion that allowed me to get paid for writing and meet some amazing people. 

Thank you to the guys that broke my heart (and to the ladies that helped me pick up the pieces) because I am stronger and better without you.

Thank you to everyone that has loved me this past school year, because I love you too.

Thank you to everyone that will continue to be a part of my life in one way or another and to all the people I have yet to meet.

I cannot believe this year is almost over and I would give almost anything to relive all of it. Unfortunately, that's not how life works. But, if next year is anything like this year then it will be unbelievable. With a place like DU in a city like Denver with the friends I have made, I know the great memories will keep coming. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment