Monday, October 13, 2014

For Good

This past Saturday I had the absolute privilege to report on DU's first home rugby game of the season. Rugby has become one of my favorite sports, but 3 years ago I didn't know the first thing about it. I stood behind the guys bench surrounded by testosterone and typed away on my phone. My notes were full of rugby jargon: ruck, scrum, lineout, try, conversion...and on and on and on. Chances are, if a friend read my notes they would be completely confused with all the fancy terminology.

 Covering this rugby game brought me back to a different time and place...back to when I was the biggest fan in the crowd cheering on my man's team. The fact that there was a South African man screaming "Austin! Austin!" at the DU game didn't help the flashbacks. I'm going to be honest with you guys, it made me very, very sad. I have been doing well but moments like these just bring the pain back like a tidal wave.

3 years ago, if someone had asked me what a scrum was I would have been incredibly confused. But now the term is something I am comfortable teaching others about. This just goes to show how one person can change you immensely. Rugby isn't the only thing that changed about me. When you're with someone for 2 and a half years and they become one of the biggest parts of your life, you will never be the same. That's just how it goes. It's crazy to think of how many things he introduced me to that I might not have loved otherwise. The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Game of Thrones, rugby, SourceFed, Macklemore. The list goes on. These are all things I love now because I loved him then.

It is said that people come into your life and change you. I'm a different person now than I was 3 years ago. Many things have contributed to this and one of the things that changed me was my first love and everything he taught me. As my girl, Madi, always likes to quote: "Who can say if I have been changed for the better...but because I knew you I have been changed for good."

I'm just lucky that I got Frodo, Tyrion, and the Haka out of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment